Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bareback day

Recently, I've tried to incorporate one bareback riding day a week. It's usually my shortest ride of the week, probably around 20-30mins. It's a lot of walking, some trotting - posting and sitting - and a goodly amount of canter. Then my groin hurts - I need more flexibility!

I like to do the bareback days when my riding buddy can't make it to the barn, and/or days I'm sleepier then others. Yesterday was both as well as rainy, so it was a good inside exercise.

Photo op at B
We finished inside and it stopped raining AND the sun was out. So we ventured to the jump arena outdoors. Two jumps were already set and I don't think we've jumped bareback since October when we met my jump bareback goal (19").

Sam is the ultimate poser. I line him up, tell him to wait and then he looks at me on his own.
Smart, dark and handsome. Pony Love!

Both jumps were 22" and EASY. Off a left turn, we chipped into the red jump, no biggie, and then he gave me the hard side, right flying change. WIN!

24" is on my goal list for 2014. I think we'll tackle that easily, soon. Because I really want to hit my optional goal of bareback and bridle less. :)


14 comments:

  1. I don't have any real desire to ride bridle less. Too scary. Love to ride bareback. I should start doing it 1x a week too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to do it for the sake of horsemanship. There was a lady at my barn that was jumping (sub 2') bareback and bridle-less (neck rope) and I want to match that!

      Delete
  2. I'm sitting here trying to remember how high I've jumped bareback. Scary thing though, I think I've jumped higher bareback than I have in a saddle (forgive me, I only had a Western saddle when I was jumping).

    Anyways - what a gorgeous pony!! He looks just right for cuddles. And good job to you too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never jumped bareback! Sounds kind of thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super fun! Love Sam's posing ability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, you're way ahead of me! Like two weeks ago I promised to ride bareback for the first time in a long time... and it still hasn't happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only started cantering bareback 11 months ago!

      Delete
  6. I need to start riding bareback more. Does the pad help a lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's suede and super sticky. really helped me with my posting and canter work until I got really balanced. It's a Parelli pad and I highly recommend it. If you find a used one (periodically on ebay) they are already broken in with the nice curve. The newer ones have a ginormous D ring that looks more like a letter D then what mine looks like. I found the bigger D to be too big and rubbed my leg. (sold my new one) Bought this one used with the more eggbutt kind of shape and it fits under my leg in just the right spot that I don't even feel it.

      Delete
    2. There's two older ones on ebay now, though prices aren't that awesome. The new ones at Parelli look like the older D so maybe they switched back or never updated their photos. I did not like the Thinline Bareback.

      Delete
  7. Henry is so not a nice bareback ride hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love riding bareback, but other than a couple times on a friend's western pleasure horse I have never been able to do much more than a walk bareback!

    ReplyDelete